My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.scienceforseo.com
and update your bookmarks.

January 09, 2009

TGIF - 2009 starts

Welcome to the 1st TGIF of 2009.  I'm glad many of you have enjoyed this series during 2008 and I hope that you enjoy the 2009 collection.  Hopefully the festive season was enormous fun for everyone and you are not feeling the January Blues too much.  If you are I hope that this installment lightens your mood.  

Heads-up: I'm off on a 2 week holiday to Thailand and Cambodia for a couple of weeks and then I will be in Sydney for a while.  If you're in any of those places drop me line and we can meet up for some geek talk.  I will still be blogging and available to you though!

Without further ado...

Quotes:

"The first time you do something it’s science.  The second time is engineering.  The third time is … just being a technician.  I’m a scientist: once I do something, I want to do something else. (Clifford Stoll) - thanks to Alex.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." (Anon)

"He who is ashamed of asking is ashamed of learning." (Anon)

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". (I. Asimov)

Facts:

From the smallest microprocessor to the biggest mainframe, the average American depends on over 264 computers per day. 

In the 1980s, an IBM computer wasn't considered 100 percent compatible unless it could run Microsoft Flight Simulator*

The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute, less than half the normal rate of 20.

By the year 2012 there will be approximately 17 billion devices connected to the Internet.

Cool links:

Computer parts art - pretty cool and imaginative!

The game "Window cleaner" looks super boring - why on earth did someone bother to invent and code it (this is not a joke part of the film)?  And who would want a talking John Mcenroe robot for 5.5 million dollars? - Very very funny stuff!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Science for SEO by Marie-Claire Jenkins is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at scienceforseo.blogspot.com.